Call for contributions
Never too late to start playing again!
Fun and Games 2012 organizes a Fun and Food category
Since the very beginning kids have fun with food until the parents intervene
and break that dynamics of fun finally ending up with detailed extremely
complex standards for both preparing the food without fun (record belonging
to the French Cuisine chefs) and for enjoying it seriously (never having the
elbows on the table and never playing with the food in the plate). While
usually “standards hurt so good” by trying to prevent the unpredictable
other alternatives are also possible and might be promoted or even
encouraged. The pervasive availability of computing technologies provides a
unique opportunity to trigger different behaviors or to foster them.
The fun and food category at Fun & Games 2012 invites original contributions
in the domain of entertainment computing and games. The focus is Human-Food
Interaction involving computing devices.
The type of contributions we are expecting include (but are not limited to):
– Computer Games (serious or not)
– Augmented reality (computer augmented with food as well as food
augmented with computing technologies)
– Multimodal interfaces (especially involving smell, taste and
– Recommender systems for users involved in food preparation or
– Artificial intelligence (Computer-generated jokes involving food,
– Automation (food dispensers and collectors)
– Computer Supported Puppet-Based Food activities (this refers to
the famous Swedish chef from Muppet Show)
– Interactive multimedia content (Food preparation TV shows are not
– Assistive technologies for having fun with food
– Studies on the impact of aging on fun and food activities
– Evaluation methods for fun and user experience when food is
At the conference, the contribution can be presented as a paper, as a panel,
as an interactive demonstration, as a video, as a poster or as a part of an
event (coffee break, lunch, gala dinner, .).
Food in the south-west of France is a serious business usually involving
ducks and a lot of vegetables. Contribution involving such ingredients are
thus particularly welcome.
Fun and Food Concepts (for organizers): February 20th, 2012 (5pm CET)
Submission should be sent to Philippe Palanque firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions should be 1-4 pages (no format) describing the concept, the
design principles and making explicit the relationship with Fun and Food
category. Requirements for making it happen at the Fun&Games 2012 conference
have also to be made explicit (see above for a list of possibility).